Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Love Life (or lack thereof...)

After my birthday this past week I decided I should really make an effort to blog more. I'm going to try my darndest to blog everyday. I've caught you up on the major stuff that has changed in the last year (and a half...) Now I can talk about what's actually happening in my world.

It's no secret I've been happily single for years. There are many reasons for this, mostly my appearance and my aversion to socializing. It's amazing what losing 60 pounds can do for your appearance (when you were overweight...if you are at a healthy weight, losing 60 pounds would NOT help your appearance, so don't start dieting until you've talked with professionals, particularly your doctor, to make sure you SHOULD lose the weight to begin with...so ends my PSA.) It's also amazing what losing 60 pounds can do for your energy levels and desire to be around people. I didn't realize how much my weight affected my self confidence. A whole new world has opened up for me. (of course, all this leads to a whole different discussion on body image, but that's a different topic for a different day.)

I've dabbled in online dating here and there since right after grad school, and, as you know, since I already told you I've been single forever, not much has come of it. Except for date stories. I am a bad date magnet. Looking back on the early years, I'm actually surprised I got any dates at all, considering I wore oversized men's clothes most of the time, so it's no wonder they weren't all that good. But I still have some great stories.

I've been playing around again online for the last couple of months, and thus far have found that the men I'm interested in are not interested in me (which is the story of my dating life...) I'm pretty well of the mind that I should probably start going out and meeting people in real life, not online, but the online thing gives me decent practice and an idea on where people around here go for fun.

My last date was on Tuesday of last week, we met at a bar/restaurant downtown. I liked the place, I'll probably go there again. The date was not so good, he didn't talk much, nor did he make much eye contact, so there were a lot of awkward silences. At the conclusion of the date, my assessment was that he was either really nervous, or really not that into me. I sent him a message telling him that i had a good time and to call me if he wanted to go out again. Apparently, he just wasn't that into me. I probably talked too much for him...

As I continue on my adventures, I'll share them. I'll also share stories of bad dates past, because some of them are pretty entertaining.

No comments: