So I met this guy online and he seemed nice enough. We met at a restaurant, and, while this shouldn't matter, his head was way too big for his body. I was a bit more shallow in my younger days. And it really distracted me, because obviously, I still remember that. I have no recollection of what he looked like beyond that. But the folks at eharmony told me he was perfect for me, so I kept an open mind. We waited for our table and didn't talk much. When we got to out table, I found that he reminded me of how a shy and not too bright kindergartner would speak. I kid you not, we were done in 20 minutes (a record that has yet to be beaten). I was super relieved, because he was giving me one word answers to my questions, and not asking me anything, so the conversation was really awkward.
It was at that point the waiter came over with a dessert and two spoons. He said it was "from a friend". We both looked around to see who we knew, but I knew exactly who it was. I didn't see them, but I knew they were there--one of the other RHD's and one of our RA's who had just graduated. I told them where we were going, and we had joked about them coming to spy on me. I didn't think they would actually come, though. I was super annoyed, because I really wanted to be done with this date, and I really didn't want to share a dessert with him--he was kind of creeping me out a little. So I had like three bites and said "oh, it's way too rich, I just can't eat another bite" or something to that effect. Thankfully, he stopped eating soon after, and we were on our way out the door. To be sure I wasn't giving off any "I really want to see you again" vibes, and because he was creeping me out, I shook his hand and thanked him for dinner. He walked to his car, and I walked to mine, but pulled out my phone and called my friends who I was pretty sure were sitting in the restaurant somewhere. When they answered, I raised my voice and said "WHERE ARE YOU???" They got real nervous, thinking I was really pissed, but told me they were at the bar in the restaurant.
I went back in, joined them at their table, and thanked them kindly for the dessert, and laughed with them about the whole thing. The waiter walked over, put his hand on my shoulder and said "you look like you need a drink." So we all chatted about how the date was observed. They actually thought we looked like we were really liking each other, just really shy. The waiter was actually reporting to them about how we were acting. That's why they got me the dessert. After a couple of drinks, I made the declaration that I needed ice cream, so we got a Dirty Dump Truck (which, if you read my blog from a LONG time ago, I posted about this dessert. I think I even put a picture up) and spent the rest of the night flirting with the waiter. So while the date was bad, the night was fun. However, I have never joked with friends about spying on my dates again...
No comments:
Post a Comment