Or was that Voices of the Spirit People? Nope. It's Voices of the Wind People. One of the many reasons Council Grove, KS, is my new favorite hangout.
Why on earth am I talking about Windy Spirits? Because there is a festival for them in September. And I think I need to go to it. Laura and Steve may not be up to the task, but I am! I visited them in the Grove yesterday. It was my first time. Let me tell you why I am going to love to visit.
Council Grove has 2,200 ish people in it. When I looked up basic stuff on the Yellow Pages about CG, I saw that it appears they do not even have a McDonald's. You know a place in the midwest is small when they don't even have a McDonald's. No wonder there's a feeling of isolation. The nearest city type place is Manhattan, which is about 45 minutes away. While they don't have a McDonald's, they do have Ray's Apple Mart. This is reason #1 why I can't wait to go back. This is the town's grocery store. It has the Tin Man in front of the store. I must take a picture with the Tin Man.
On my way into town, through the rain and grossness that I drove in all morning, I saw a ray of positivity: three giant sihloette (i don't know how to spell it) cutout thingies on top of a hill. I'm talking big. Steve informed me that they are Native Americans. And the best part is that there are giant cutouts on hilltops as you leave town in all four directions! Reason #2 to go back. But I want to go when Laura's Mom goes, because she is also in love with these things and wants to get a picture with them.
As I was leaving town, I saw the most old-school sign for beef: "Beef, it's what's for dinner", with a drawing of a steak over it. I was amused, and it wouldn't have made my list, except that the entire drive back to St. Joe was dotted with different variations of the beef sign! Reason #3.
They have a park that has a tiny covered wagon and some tiny old buildings in it. I think this is probably a big part of the "Historic" part of "Historic Council Grove". I want to climb in the wagon and play in the buildings. Reason #4.
Steve's bank is called "Farmers and Drovers" bank. I want to go in and see if any of the tellers can tell me what a Drover is. Reason #5.
Steve's parents have an awesome cabin on the lake in Council Grove. This shall be a great summer getaway spot. Laura made sure I knew right where it is, too. Maybe I'll invite them along. Reason #6.
Of course, my final reasons are the babies! There is no doubt in my mind that I have the cutest and the smartest nieces and nephews ever. But I don't think you can put that in a travel brochure to attract people to the little town of Council Grove.
So hopefully after this blog and some follow up photos that will come in the next year will guarantee me a spot in the Grove Hall of Fame. And if they don't have one, I bet they start one because of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment