So MWSU brought one of the Lost Boys of Sudan to campus yesterday and today, and I went and listened to him talk. I've totally spent the last few days just sort of in a pissy mood and annoyed with the world. And now I am definitely humbled and thankful for my life and what I've been given. This man, when he was just 11 years old, watched his village, including his entire family, being either killed, raped or stolen to slavery, and then walking thousands of miles with no food, water or shelter, all the while being shot at for years by militants. He and the thousands of other Lost Boys who made it to their final refugee camp truly had reason to be annoyed, yet they were just thankful to be alive. And the dream to come to America and get an education is real. To hear him talk about America as his "true home" made me feel kind of upset with myself for taking my freedoms and everyday life for granted. In this negative election year and economic meltdown, it is important to look at what is really wonderful about our country and to just give thanks for what we do have.
I know that I will continue to have my pissy moods and I will complain because I want an iphone and a wii and I can't have them and that I can't get Showtime with my free cable, but I am also going to strive to keep remembering how blessed I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment