Actually, I'm kind of over my New Kids mania. But it was a really awesome concert! I had bought tickets way back in May, so I'd been looking forward to it for a while. We were supposed to have kind of crappy seats in the nosebleed section. But I managed to score floor seats from Morgan and Lindsay, one of my colleagues and his wife (who was a colleague for a while, but she did a better job of interviewing in the spring than I did and found a job elsewhere.) Lindsay had bought their tickets back in May too, but by the time the concert came around a couple of weeks ago she was no longer able to go, and Morgan sure didn't want to go. So I took his duty weekend this weekend and he gave me his tickets. Yay! Nothing ever happens when I'm on duty, so it was a great trade for me!
Laura came over from Kansas to go with me. We decided to meet up at the Legends shopping place in KCK. I couldn't concentrate to work all day, so I left early and wandered around for a couple of hours. I was real proud of myself--Lane Bryant Outlet, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Broadway Shoes, and Books-a-Million, and I didn't buy anything other than a bagel at Panera and a water at the bookstore. Yay me! I was saving myself for NKOTB goods.
We made it to the arena literally just as the opening act, Natasha Bedingfield, was starting. We stopped at the concert shop, but I didn't see anything I had to have. Yay me! So we managed to figure out how to get to the floor, and a real unfriendly usher found us our seats. We had to push away some people who were in our way, but we got there. And of course, directly in front of us were the "Twin Towers" who would not sit down. Our view was a little limited.
But when the boys came out, we were on our feet anyway, and we got creative with finding ways around the Towers. We couldn't stand on our chairs. But no one around the Towers were very tall, so we just stood on our tip toes and moved around a lot. Anyway, about halfway through, the New Kids popped up in the middle of the floor, probably 50 feet away from us! The crowd kind of mashed forward, so the security people didn't care about those of us standing on our chairs. So I got a good view of them there. Sadly, they were in the round and rotating, and for some reason all of my pictures of Joey are blurry. But all the randoms of Jon are fine. Oh well! Then when they went back to the stage, they walked the aisle like 10 feet away from me. Security was real tight around them, kind of like the Secret Service. It was really cool.
They were really good too! You could tell they were mostly live, and they were mostly in tune. Jordan hit those high notes just like in the old days. Danny breakdanced! They all danced. I gained a new appreciation for their new CD, which I know I panned in an earlier blog. I listened to it the whole way to KC, and they did about half new and half old stuff, and their new stuff is kind of better than the old stuff. I suppose that's not saying much. But hey, we were kids, and kids like boy bands. There were thousands of other thirtysomethings dancing, singing, and arm pumping along with us. And I would totally go see them again, but I actually will go with the nosebleed seats so I can actually see them dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment