Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Airport Musings

(Hand written on April 13)
So here I am at the Minneapolis airport. I'm waiting for my hostess to come pick me up. I'm on campus interview #2, and here is my adventure to this point.

The packing process was quick and easy. I opted to not bring my computer this time because I wouldn't have much down time. Jinxer #1, paired with poor choice #1.

I got to KCI well in advance, and my flight was delayed. So I decided to grab a bite to eat. The cheapest thing on the menu was chili, so I got that. Poor choice #2. It was at first o hot that it burned me and I couldn't eat it. Once it cooled down, I discovered that it was still to hot for me to eat. My mouth and throat continued to burn at 30,000 feet halfway to MN.

The flight to Minneapolis was really smooth. I also took the airsickness drugs so I didn't get sick. I did keep getting elbowed by the crossword puzzler next to me. But the little boy in front of me was so excited about flying he made up for it. I finished my notes for my presentation. I was not crabby. Jinxer #2.

I deboard behind a woman wearing 3 inch heels that were as thick as a pencil (literally) who had 10 minutes to get to the other side of the airport. I hope she survived. I had an hour, so I casually made my way to the gate. There is a small tunnel here that connects concourse B with the rest of the airport. As I traveled on the moving sidewalk I noted the pleasant light show and music playing. I thought to myself "This has gone too smoothly. Maybe this job is meant to be." Jinxer #3. I checked in with my Sr. RA about my staff meeting I missed and my Mom about the sewing project I sent her this morning. No wait, yesterday morning.

We board the plane for our 24 minute flight. The plane taxis to the runway. 20 minutes later the flight deck informs us that there is a mechanical problem, it'll be a 45 minute fix, and there are no other planes. So we go back to the gate and de-board.

An hour and 15 minutes later they inform us that our flight has been cancelled. Mind you it is now 11:45 PM. The next flight is at 8:50 AM. They put us up in a hotel. Yay. I get in touch with the folks I'm interviewing with and they offer to drive the hour and 15 minutes to pick me up. So now I'm waiting in the baggage claim area. I'm the only one around except the janitor and some guy in a stocking hat. Apparently, this airport virtually shuts down at midnight. But at least I moved to the area right next to the airport police. Hopefully I won't be raped or murdered right here next to the cops. Ironically, my presesntation first off tomorrow is on violence against women. I should have driven. I'm never flying again.

New topic. I went to a new dentist today because when I had to reschedule my 6 month appointment with my old one, they couldn't fit me in for another 6 months. So this new office is very thorough and informative. They assurred me that my painful gums are due right now to my change to whitening toothpaste. Cool. I was afraid I was getting cancer or something.

They informed me that I have two baby teeth. I'm 31 years old, you've just told me my teeth look pretty and you don't think I know I have two baby teeth? But then the dentist says that I need to get them filled because the years of grinding and brushing have worn grooves in them and they might crack. I can feel the grooves, I thought that was normal. Guess not.

Then he asked if I've thought of getting braces, which the hygenist had asked me earlier. Yeah, my bottom teeth are a little crowded, but I'm not getting braces for that. But then he tells me I have a cross-bite, and that's why I grind my teeth. Huh? The hygenist brought out their cool detures to show me what that meant. Basically, my teeth and jaw don't line up together right. They're off to the side a little. Well when she showed me that, I agreed. My jaw is crooked. I just thought that was normal. I asked if that's who it's always been and she said yes. When I was a kid, I ground my teeth to loosen them. Now I grind because that's my body's way of trying to re-align itself. And that makes sense. When I'm real tired, my jaw feels crooked and my instinct is to bite down and grind. Obviously I don't cuz that's bad for you, but that's what I want to do.

My thing is, I'm 31 years old and have regularly seen a dentist since I got teeth. Why am I just now learning this? I shall research it. I can't do anything with it until I get a job, but I'll look into it for sure.

No comments: